Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Babe

Hal's birthday was April 18th and I just couldn't think of a thing to give him.  A week or so prior to his birthday he read an article about three things to make a happier life.  The only one I remember is "to make more memories instead of buying more things."  Yea.....perfect birthday gift.  I can plan an event better than buy a thing.  I don't have any vacation left for the year, even though it's only April so we needed a Staca.  I planned the surprise weekend, of which I had a blast and this is what we did.

We stayed at the Omni hotel, downtown Fort Worth.  We were welcomed with this tray of sweets and a bottle of champagne.
We had a lovely dinner at a wine bar, Zambrano.  It was nice cozy and quiet.
 FW was having their Main Street Festival with music all day long on three different stages, arts and crafts, food everywhere and tons of people watching.
 We found a table with a couple of chairs and umbrella and stayed there from noon until 9:00 pm. 
 Craig Chaquico is a jazz artist that we love. He would come out into the crowd and play.  On one occasion, I jumped up and Hal took a picture of us. 
 Craig then took my hat that was in my chair, put it on and stood in my chair and played for a bit.
It was up close and personal for sure.
We ate, drank and were merry for 48 hours.   

Sunday morning we ran in the “The Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation” 5K race on the KATY trail here in Dallas. We did this in honor of my stepmother, Elizabeth Sweeny, who is battling the disease and in memory of one of Hal's high school classmates, Bobby LaCroix, who passed away from lung cancer in 2003. It was a beautiful day in Dallas and it was a somewhat small race by the big event standards, but they had 600 participants. We took my dad and Elizabeth and they seemed to have a grand time. We met her doctor who was the co-chair of the event. Hal and I both improved our times and came in 1st in our age catagory.  Sometimes it's good to be older.


No comments:

Post a Comment